Hello again friends!
So, how is your post-#SWPerth hangover?
First of all, a BIG thanks to those of you who gave up their weekend to join us at Spacecubed for 54 hours of startup madness and mayhem. We had an absolute ball, and can only hope that you got as much out of Startup Weekend Perth as we did!
To help us make #SWPerth3 even better, we would be eternally grateful to those of you who took part if you could please complete our post-event survey here and let us know more about your Startup Weekend experience.
For those who missed it, Perth Now published a great wrap of the event yesterday, Charlie Gunningham blogged from a mentor’s perspective and the awesome people at Perth Linux Users Group posted the final presentations and awards on their YouTube channel.
BIG congratulations to the teams behind iConnect, Naughty 3D and Squidee for coming out on top of the judges’ scoresheets, as well as Matt Harley and the gang from Zero Day, who won an Xbox from Microsoft BizSpark for the most innovative project. We will be in touch in the next day or so with more information about claiming your prizes.
You can all expect to hear from us again in the days ahead, with a bunch of photos from the weekend and plans for a #SWPerth Reunion.
For the time being, we owe some BIG shout outs to a bunch of great people who helped make Startup Weekend the success that it was:
- To all our sponsors, thank you for your generous support and for doing whatever you can to help Perth’s blossoming startup community and the awesome people in it.
- To all our mentors, who kindly volunteered their time and shared their wisdom to help you learn as much as possible over the weekend.
- To our judges, for throwing their fair share of curveballs and challenging our teams to rise to the occasion, on the back of two days of working and some sensational pitches.
- To the organising team, for helping put on such a sensational event, and the many sacrifices they made along the way (Are you allowed back in the car yet, Zane?)
- To the Lord Mayor, Lisa Scaffidi for kicking off Startup Weekend in appropriate style on Friday night.
- To Phil Morle from Pollenizer, for a terrific key note presentation and all the startup wisdom he imparted on our participants.
- To Spacecubed, for once again letting us into their home, and making it easier than ever to meet cool people and do cool things. (Yes, we finally found the keys!)
- To Peta Hayward, for her sensational breakfasts and lunches… Best. Food. Ever!
- To the seriously cool guys from PLUG for recording all the pitches and their technical support along the way.
- And our BIGGEST thanks of all, to you awesome developers, designers, marketers and hustlers who took a chance on Startup Weekend, had the gumption to stand up in front of a crowd and share your ideas, worked absurdly long hours with people you barely knew, who pivoted and pitched, who hacked and hustled, and who we hope all learned a bunch of new things over the course of the weekend!
For those who want to pick up a free domain, you can still do so via domain.co; for those who want more AWS credits, let us know and we’ll see what we can do; and if you want to hear more about Microsoft’s BizSpark program and trial a free subscription to Azure then here is your chance.
For those of you who were blown away by Spacecubed and want to join as Community Members ($22.50+GST) sign up now and you will get the next month of unlimited Co-Working free (usually $600), meaning you can work until you heart’s content from 8:00am – 8:00pm, as well as accessing their internal Yammer network and joining over 170 other startups, entrepreneurs and innovators!
For those of you, particularly developers and designers, who enjoyed your Startup Weekend experience and are keen to throw yourself into the real thing, contact Sally Porter at Agworld and check out their job opportunities on Github (they’re exploding like an exploding thing and need some help!) and have a look at InHouse Insights careers page – both Agworld and Insights have amazing teams and are doing incredible work from little ol’ Perth.
For those of you who want to keep engaged with the startup community, head along to Edge of the Web later this week, get involved with regular Meetups like Morning Startup, UX Perth and Mobile Beers (who have a spiffing new website BTW), and keep us in the loop with whatever you’re working on via the Startup Weekend Perth Yammer network and Twitter @SWPerth.
For now, we leave you with some wise words from our favourite giant robot dinosaur FAKEGRIMLOCK:
BE AWESOME START WITH OTHERS. END THERE TOO.
Thanks again for sharing Startup Weekend Perth with us and we’ll see you at the Reunion in a few weeks time… You rock!
Sam Birmingham and the @SWPerth crew